Letture ed una torta al limone

Hi there,

Hope you’re doing well!

Today I am feeling sleepy, it might be because of the old saying “Aprile, dolce dormire” (April, sleep is sweet). I did try to check if there was an English version, but apparently only Italians sleep more in April, but please feel free to update me if you also feel drowsy at this time of the year.

***

If you’re feeling like reading, today I felt moved by this article on how autism touched my family.

And if you haven’t already heard from him before, this essay by Paul Kalanithi, How long have I got left, is mind blowing. I have just read his book and his words still linger in my head.
I found a thread about it thanks Ben & Birdy  here.  

***



On a completely different and much lighter note, as you may know, if you’ve read some of my other posts, I kind of like buying cookbooks and among the various ones, I also am the happy owner of Honey and Co. The Baking Book.

I tried their Saffron & lemon syrup cake  and despite the unbelievable amount of sugar it tasted really great. It totally resonated especially to my loved one, his ancestral half Sicilian taste buds were so pleased he gobbled down a quarter of the cake in one evening (warning: this is scientifically proved to cause indigestion, the poor greedy love of mine could not sleep well at all).

Just for my future self, I will take a few notes for the future:
1. Italian lemons tend to be smaller than the ones used in the recipe, with two I could not cover the whole baking pan;
2. Italian lemons have stronger peels: boil the cheeky slices until they become translucent and easily pierced by a fork;
3. 6-8 minutes were not enough to thicken the syrup, possibly the recipe tester may have had an electric stove or they let the whole thing splutter like lava, don’t know, but I will boil it longer next time.



I wish you a pinch of joy and some peace for your weekend.

Commenti

Post popolari in questo blog

Venezia: Museo di Storia Naturale